Dembele To Arsenal Gains Momentum
Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele has been pictured in the company of Arsenal stars Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Alexandre Lacazette and the photo was shared by the Gabon international’s father on Instagram.
The Sun earlier reported the Gunners are interested in the France international and could include Aaron Ramsey as a part of the deal.
Catalan newspaper Sport now claims the idea of the winger joining the north London club is ‘gaining strength’ after he was pictured alongside a few Arsenal stars.
Modric To Force Move
Luka Modric is reportedly “seriously considering” moving on from Real Madrid this summer amid rumours he is wanted by Inter Milan.
According to Calciomercato’s Fabrizio Romano (h/t Kaustubh Pandey of the same outlet), Modric is set to meet with Real president Florentino Perez next week after returning to Madrid on Sunday, where it’s expected he’ll inform Perez of his “desire to leave.”
It’s to be expected that Perez would be reluctant to part with another key player this summer, given the talismanic Cristiano Ronaldo has already departed.
Modric is crucial to Los Blancos’ play in midfield. With his intelligence and distribution, he helps the side dominate matches from the centre.
Man United prepared to wait for Alderweireld
Manchester United are still pushing hard to sign long-term target Toby Alderweireld from Tottenham Hotspur, but may be forced into playing the long game for another season before making their move, says the Mirror.
Spurs have valued the Belgium international at £75 million, with United steadfastly unwilling to pay that kind of money for a 29-year-old defender.
However, it has since come to light that United might be afforded the chance to purchase Alderweireld for a fraction of that price if they are simply willing to wait.
The centre-back’s contract runs until 2019, and Spurs retain an option to extend it by a year. Even then, thanks to a release clause inserted into his existing Spurs deal during the last round of negotiations, a two-week window would be triggered in which Alderweireld would be allowed to leave White Hart Lane for just £25m.
United might feel even more comfortable sitting back and seeing what transpires as, according to Mundo Deportivo, a deal to bring centre-back Yerry Mina to Old Trafford is “practically agreed.” The Spanish paper says Mina has agreed terms with United and is just waiting for them to agree a fee with Barcelona.
Zaha wants Chelsea switch
After struggling to make the grade at Manchester United a few years back, Wilfried Zaha is once again intent on testing his mettle at one of the Premier League’s top sides.
According to the Mirror, the Crystal Palace winger has told teammates he’s determined to leave Selhurst Park for a “big six” club this summer after rejecting a new £125,000-a-week contract offer.
Specifically, Zaha is keen to move across London to Chelsea, and would even be willing to submit a transfer request to push the deal through before the window closes.
Tottenham were known to be interested the 25-year-old, but it looks like they’ve now run out of patience with Palace and instead refocused their aim on signing Jack Grealish from Aston Villa.
Everton eye up Lascelles
Everton are willing to spend £30m to tempt Newcastle United into selling their club captain Jamaal Lascelles, says The Sun.
With Ashley Williams having joined Stoke on a season-long loan, the Toffees need to bolster their back line and are hoping that a significant offer for Lascelles would tempt Newcastle owner Mike Ashley into cashing in.
However, Rafa Benitez’s reluctance to part with his skipper and the fact that Lascelles is under contract until 2023 are likely to prove unassailable stumbling blocks in any approach for the 24-year-old centre-back
- Paris Saint-Germain now lead the race to sign Juventus defender Alex Sandro, whose departure could come as part of a flurry of transfer activity as the deadline approaches, L’Equipe reported. PSG, who are also in talks with Bayern Munich over a move for Jerome Boateng, could add Sandro because Cristiano Ronaldo is keen to bring Marcelo with him from Real Madrid.
- Borussia Dortmund have trumped Valencia’s bid for Atletico Madrid’s Kevin Gameiro, according to Marca, by offering €23m for the forward. Gameiro had agreed to join Valencia earlier this summer, but they have only offered Atletico €14m for his services. Atletico have delayed the transfer until they can secure another backup for Diego Costa.
- Belgium international Axel Witsel has asked his lawyer to travel to China to help negotiate his move from Tianjin Quanjian to Borussia Dortmund, La Derniere Heure reported. Dortmund believe they can trigger a €20m release clause in Witsel’s contract to allow him to leave, but Tianjin have argued that they will not let the midfielder leave because the transfer window is closed in China.
- Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said that he will only allow Luka Modric to leave the club if his €750m release clause is paid in full. Modric has reportedly been speaking to Inter Milan about a move but Madrid are understandably loathe to let the midfielder, who won the Golden Ball at the World Cup, out of the last two years of his contract.
- Multiple reports indicated overnight that Arturo Vidal has a verbal agreement in place to leave Bayern Munich for Barcelona. According to Sport, Barca have been in contact with Vidal for more than a week and will pay Bayern around €30m for the midfielder, who had been heavily linked to a move to Inter Milan in recent months. The Guardian reported that Vidal, 31, passed a medical at Barca within the past week and has been given permission to leave by new coach Niko Kovac.
- Manchester City have signed Gabriel Jesus to a two-year contract extension, tying him to the club through the 2022-23 season. Jesus, 21, has scored 24 goals since arriving from Palmeiras in January 2017.
- Chelsea have signed Pedro to a new contract that will keep him with the club for one additional season. The 31-year-old, who moved from Barcelona in 2015, is now tied to the team through 2019-20. He scored seven goals for Chelsea in all competitions and has scored 28 goals since his arrival.
- Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri said he has no problem with Willian and that he is hopeful Thibaut Courtois will stay at the club amid speculation over potential exits for both players.