Torres Set For Benitez Reunion?
Fernando Torres could be poised to return to the Premier League on loan and link up again with Rafa Benitez, who signed him for Liverpool a little over a decade ago.
Newcastle manager Benitez, who brought Torres to Anfield from Atletico Madrid in summer 2007 and also coached him during his brief stint as Chelsea manager, is aware of the Spain international’s desire to return to England, the Mirror reports.
Southampton are also in the frame to strike a short-term deal for the one-time Chelsea striker, according to the paper.
Torres, 33, has only started twice for Atletico but wants to spend next season, the last on his contract, with his boyhood club.
He is eager to play regular first-team football from January until the end of the campaign and the Mirror says that won’t be happening at Atleti, where Diego Costa will soon be eligible for selection.
It adds that “the player’s representatives have let his desire to leave on loan in January be known to both Benitez and Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino.”
The Chronicle says a Newcastle switch is likely to depend on the club’s takeover going through, adding that “although acquiring a proven Premier League forward is a priority for Benitez, a move for Torres could prove expensive” if he opts to pursue it.
Can To Reject Juve Interest And Join City On A Free
Juventus may have been hopeful that they could persuade Liverpool midfielder Emre Can to join them, but now Manchester City seem the likely winners of the race for his signature.
Can, 23, is reluctant to commit his future to Liverpool unless the club include a release clause in any new deal — a request that has not so far been met.
And now the Mail says the Germany international, out of contract on Merseyside in the summer, “is set to snub Juventus in favour of joining City” on a free transfer.
Serie A champions Juve are reported to have turned their attentions elsewhere, but the Mirror says Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund hope they might be able to persuade Can to return to Germany.
It adds that BVB “believe that they stand a genuine chance and are very keen, with Can able to sign a pre-contract with foreign clubs after Jan. 1.”
Real Offer Bale & Kroos For Neymar
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is determined to sign Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain and will offer Toni Kroos and Gareth Bale as part of a swap deal, Don Balon reports.
The report states that any deal to land the Brazilian will exceed €400 million, and the Los Blancos supremo feels he can replace Kroos and Bale with relative ease as he looks to minimise costs.
At present, PSG are in no mood to sell, but Madrid will not give up their pursuit of Neymar and are hopeful they can bring him to the Santiago Bernabeu within the next two seasons
Madrid Target Lyon Star
Lyon attacker Nabil Fekir has emerged as the latest target for Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane, claims SFR Sport, via AS .
Fekir is enjoying an impressive campaign for Lyon and the 24-year-old, who can play as an attacking midfielder or striker, has been scouted by Barcelona.
Arsenal, Juventus and Manchester United are also reported to be interested in Fekir, and now Madrid are keeping a close eye on his form this season.
Barca Midfielder Set For New Deal
Barcelona aim to hand Sergi Roberto a new five-year contract to ward off interest from Manchester City and Manchester United, according to Mundo Deportivo.
The Premier League duo have been linked with a move for Sergi Roberto, whose current deal expires in 2019.
However, Barca plan to extend his contract and increase his release clause from €40 million to €400m to ensure Sergi Roberto stays at Camp Nou.
Goretzka Wants Premier League Move
Schalke midfielder Leon Goretzka wants to move to the Premier League when his contract expires next summer, according to Sport .
Germany’s national team general manager Oliver Bierhoff has suggested the money on offer in English football is a persuasive factor for the likes of Goretzka, who has been interesting Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.
However, the 22-year-old will ignore interest from those clubs in order to head to the Premier League, with Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham all having been linked with an approach.
Barcelona don’t want to risk losing defender Samuel Umtiti and are working on a new deal to keep him at the Camp Nou, according to French outlet SFR Sport. It says France international Umtiti, reported to be of interest to both Manchester United and Manchester City, is now in line for a “new and improved” contract including a £53 million release clause designed to discourage further interest.
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi wants the club to move for Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli, 21, before Real Madrid do. (Don Balon – in Spanish)
Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres, 33, is keen to return to the Premier League, with Southampton and Newcastle interested. (Daily Mirror)
Manchester United are prepared to pay £177m to sign Real Madrid midfielder Marco Asensio, 21. (Don Balon – in Spanish)
Manchester United want to sell 22-year-old England left-back Luke Shaw for about £20m in January. (Times – subscription required)
Manchester City and Juventus want to sign Liverpool midfielder Emre Can when the 23-year-old’s contract expires in the summer. (Daily Star)
Patrice Evra has had contact from “several clubs” interested in signing him despite him kicking a Marseille fan, says the 36-year-old defender’s agent. (Gazzetta dello Sport – in Italian)
West Ham forward Marko Arnautovic, 28, says he will not be sold in the January transfer window. (Kurier – in German)
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud, 31, insists he has a future at the Premier League club. (Independent)
Liverpool are willing to spend £5m to sign Wolves’ 17-year-old midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White in January. (Sun)
Wolves have promised manager Nuno Espirito Santo “limitless” transfer funds to turn the club into Champions League contenders. (Daily Mirror)
Newcastle’s takeover by an investment consortium led by Amanda Staveley’s company PCP Capital Partners will be completed this week. (Daily Star)
Alternatively, a bid is yet to be made by Staveley, and owner Mike Ashley’s hopes of selling by the New Year are hanging in the balance. (Evening Chronicle)
Manchester United defender Matteo Darmian, 27, is wanted by Italian sides Juventus, Napoli and Roma. (Gazzetta dello Sport, via Daily Mirror)
Barcelona defender Thomas Vermaelen, 31, says the club stopped him negotiating a move to Everton in the summer. (DH, via Liverpool Echo)
Paris St-Germain are considering sacking Unai Emery as manager, despite the club being unbeaten in 17 matches since the start of the season. (Yahoo)
PSG and Belgium full-back Thomas Meunier, 26, says the club rejected an offer from Chelsea on transfer deadline day. (Evening Standard)